Monday, December 14, 2009

Pay Attention!

Psalm 92:5,6 ~
" O LORD, how great are Thy works! and Thy thoughts are very deep.
A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this."


I am realizing how important it is to pay attention to the way God does things. He does not change; He is the same from the beginning to the end. Yes, His mercies are renewed with the dawn of each day; much to our survival and benefit!


This Psalm speaks of those who do not know or pay attention as being brutish. The Hebrew interpretation of this word means to consume, to waste or burn, or to eat up. I have been guilty of this quite a few times in my life. The blessings of God to me are eaten up and consumed without my acknowledgement of where they came from. I must become much more sensitive to the works and ways of God. King David noticed, he paid attention to God's ways.


The verse also speaks of fools that do not recognize the works of God. This word means stupid silly people do not pay attention. Like the brutish, they consume and eat up what God gives and does, then they just wait for more and more. What a way to spend one's life; to be totally occupied with just eating up the works of the LORD, without acknowledging His ways; and then just waiting for more to consume!


Man is truly born in sin and selfishness! My prayer after examining these two verses is "LORD, make me sensitive to Thy works and Thy ways." God said that He would be found by those who search for Him with all of their heart. This absolutely excludes those who are brutish and foolish. There is no understanding of God in their actions or heart.


For example, this past week I did something I knew I should not have done. It was not gross sin but something not becoming of a Believer in Christ. Shortly thereafter, I lost the Presence that is with me most of the time. I knew that I grieved the LORD and He removed Himself for several days. I am not saying that I was lost for those days; I am saying that the close communion, the constant Presence that is available was distant and not so readily available. There was a sense in my spirit that I had done something that was not pleasing.


Although I repented with prayer, tears and crying, He stayed away for a season. For me, this is one of His ways. I must understand this and apply this fact the next time I feel a check in my spirit not to do something, ask for strength to resist the enemy, and battle through the circumstance. The season of feeling like I was "on my own" was brief. He was with me but we were not in close communion. I still praised Him in prayer and song, but I knew He was displeased. In His great, unmeasurable mercies He finally accepted my petitions, forgave, and returned in the measure of my repentance.


When we err, as we will, repent immediately. Do not get discouraged if He stays aloft for a season, a very short season, but it is very noticeable and very troublesome. Keep praying, praising and He will return in His fullness as only He can.



As the Psalmist says, " How great are Thy works (and His ways), Thy thoughts are very deep. " Do not be brutish and foolish concerning His works and His ways. Pay attention to what brings Him closer to our spirit and the things that cause a distance.



There is nothing more fearful and troublesome than for the Presence of God to be removed from one whose very life depends upon Him for their very survival; and we fall into that catagory. The battles will intensify as He prepares to return and set up His Kingdom. The enemy knows the time is short and he is pulling out all of the stops to try to make us fail and lose faith in our Saviour.


Do not lose heart! If we draw near to Him, He promised that He would draw near to us. Stay in His presence through song, prayer, repentance and praise.

No comments: