Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Faith Perhaps

My wife and I support a fellow Believer who spends his time ministering to the homeless in our area of WV. Jane cooks once a week; a good home cooked meal with noodles, meat, rice or spaghetti. Catholic charities supports this ministry also in our area. In the Spring and Summer of the year Jane goes to yard sales to purchase coats, sweaters, shirts, socks and hats for the ministry. We do this at the behest of what Christ taught about the needy, poor and depressed who live among us. This has been in every generation since the beginning of time, I believe. One of the purposes of God allowing this is to see if His children will give of what He has blessed them with. I have been thinking over the past several weeks of Peter and James when they encountered the lame man when they were in the Temple area in Jerusalem. They passed this man as he was seeking alms from the those who went to the Temple to pray and offer sacrifice. What Peter said is amazing if you think about it. He told the poor man that he had no silver and no gold; but he would give him what he had; RISE UP AND WALK! I do not know any Believer personally that can do this with any great confidence. I have never done it. Peter did not tell the man "I will be praying for you and your healing..." he did not say "God can heal you if you believe enough. " Peter said "Such as I have!" A fellow I know went out on a field trip into one of the wooded areas where the homeless in our area live with the Brother who delivers food and clothing I was speaking of. I do not know if that trip accomplished anything other than food and clothing for the needy. This brother walked up to one of the homeless, pointed to a bottle of beer and told him that " this is your problem, the drink is responsible for your condition." Where is the one who can take someones hand and say, "I have just been with God, rise up and be healed of your condition..."? I cannot do it. Why not? Is it because I have not spent enough time with the Father or is my faith weak. Do I not want the embarrassment of failure or the responsibility for this broken person after they are delivered? Tough questions. God, give us direction, faith and Your compassion for the needy and oppressed you have placed in our midst. May we have the faith of Peter and James in these last days. Church as usual if not getting the job done.

No comments: