Saturday, February 25, 2012

Made New

How magnificent is the love of the LORD? Jeremiah 31 gives us insight of the depth of His great compassion's toward us; even after rebellion and running from Him and the life He wants us to live.


" The LORD both appeared of old unto me, saying, 'Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, with loving kindness have I drawn thee..." He has never given up on us; even to our last breath the Holy Spirit draws us to the Presence of the Father. I have seen this over the years. People who lived in total rebellion have been, even on their death bed, drawn to God by His mercy. He is still ready to forgive and pardon. Such mercy and grace! It is beyond my comprehension.


God still says, " I have heard you bemoaning yourself, saying, God has chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bull unaccustomed to the yoke; Turn Thou me and I shall be turned; for Thou art the LORD my God."



It is as if some of us reach a point in our rebellion that we cannot turn ourselves in repentance. A heart cry goes out from our inner most being for God to turn us; for God to force us to come to Him. This is mercy! I feel it may be a remembrance of the prayers of others on our behalf that He shows great mercies.


" Surely, after I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh;" It is as if we are awakened from a spiritual stupor when we realize how rebellious and lost we really were! " I was ashamed, yea, even confounded because I did bear the reproach of my youth."



God seems to cry out, "Are you My dear son? Are you a pleasant child? for since I spoke against you, I do earnestly remember you still: therefore My bowels are troubled for him- I will surely have mercy upon you, saith the LORD."


We finally realize, "For the LORD has redeemed me! He redeemed me from the hand of those who were stronger that me. Therefore I will come and sing in the height of Zion (His Holy Hill), I will flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, for wine, for oil and for the young of the flock of the herd;" (my needs will be satisfied in Him).
"My soul shall be as a watered garden ;and I will not sorrow any more at all."


After we repent and return, Jeremiah 17:18 says, " For we will be like a tree planted by the waters that spread out our roots by the river and we will not see when the heat comes, but our leaf shall be green. We will not worry in the year of drought nor will we ever cease to bear fruit."


Ezekiel also gives an excellent picture, "And all the trees of the field shall know that I, the LORD have brought down the high tree (all who rise up against us), I, the LORD have exalted the low tree, I have dried up the green tree and have made the dry tree to flourish; I the LORD have spoken and done this." (17:24)


"I the LORD will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that you will no more receive the reproach of famine among the heathen (the unbelieving). 
(36:30)


In His great mercies, He will restore, renew and reinvigorate what we thought to be long dead and hopeless. The same Spirit that raised Christ from the grave will renew our mortal bodies to live anew in Him.


What a mighty, forgiving, and renewing God we serve.

No comments: