Monday, September 7, 2009

HIS YOKE

Today I have been singing a chorus from perhaps 45-50 years ago as I was pondering the things we face as Believers. I found the Scripture reference; it is found in Matthew 11:28,29.


" Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For My yoke is easy,
and My burden is light."


Why do I find myself cast down in spirit so often? Christ said He gives rest and that His yoke is easy; His burden is light. Why does mine seem so heavy, so often? Am I laboring in vain?


I feel the key to this verse is for me to maintain the same mindset that He has; He said He is meek and lowly of heart. This runs against my nature. I feel of the mindset of the sons of thunder, as Christ called James and John; they wanted to call fire down from heaven! I want fire from heaven to fall on every situation I face that stands in the way of what I want to accomplish. It does not work like this.


Christ said that He came not to do His own will; but the will of the One who sent Him. Christ also said that as the Father has sent Him, so He sends us. Not to do our own will and have our own way, but to do the will of the Father.


It is important to remember that Christ experienced great demonic opposition while here on earth. He was constantly tempted, tried and suffered so greatly at times that He had to disappear into the Wilderness to be alone with the Father. Am I greater than Christ? Do I claim to be stronger than He? Of course not! Why should I NOT SUFFER if He did!


The "yoke" spoken of in Matthew is the bar that joins a pair of scales together; enjoined to the balances. We must remain "yoked together" with Him in all circumstances. As soon as we become unjoined, the burdens increase and eventually become unbearable.


The song I have been singing in my spirit all day was written by Ralph E Hudson, 1843-1901. Would that I had listened to the words as a child and applied this concept to my life over the past 45 years!


HIS YOKE IS EASY
The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want,
He maketh me down to lie in pastures green,
He leadeth me,
The quiet waters by,


CHORUS ~
His yoke is easy,
His burden in light,
I've found it so,
I've found it so,
He leadeth me by day and by night,
where living waters flow.


My soul crieth out:
"Restore me again,
And give me the strength to take
The narrow path of righteousness,
Even for Thine own name's sake.


(CHORUS)


Yea, tho' I should walk the valley of death,
Yet what should I fear from ill?
For Thou art with me,
and Thy rod And staff support me still.


Christ promised us that the Spirit of Truth would bring to our remembrance His word. His word, also through songs of worship and praise. Praise be to the Father, Son and Spirit!

No comments: