Friday, July 9, 2010

Sabbath Thoughts

July 09.2010

Rabbi Yehuda Amital, age 86, died in Israel today. He was a strong, vibrant and interesting person considering his background as a youth. He was born in Transylvania in the 1920's, was captured by the Nazi's and sent to a work camp.


His father, mother, brothers and sister were murdered by the Nazi's. No family remained. At the end of WW II he moved to Israel and fought in her War of Independence in 1948. Here is a statement he made before his death:


“I took it upon myself to be head of the yeshiva (religious school he established) because I knew I needed to take the place of friends who did not survive,” he explained, “That gave me the power to do something. The fact that I was among the few who remained alive gave me strength to act, otherwise I would not have taken the position.”


After losing all, even those he loved, he used these horrible circumstances of his life to receive strength to act. He took the place of the friends he had lost, those who did not survive, and succeeded in his efforts.


Many would have used Rabbi Yehuda Amital's background to turn to alcohol, drugs or self pity. With the help of Almighty God, those who chose the straight and narrow path always succeed and are triumphant with God by their side. We are more than conquerors through Christ who strengthens us.

No comments: