Monday, August 29, 2011

Hidden Treasures

The Word became flesh; what an incomprehensible thought! I cannot get my mind around this. In the beginning was the Word. Before anything was the Word existed.


From time to time I go though great seasons of dryness, doubt and mental turmoil. It is as if the seasons of my life are changing, seasons of hope and gladness, dryness and sadness, doubt and fear and praise, worship and great faith. It seems to mirror the four season we go through in this part of the world.


While asking God for a word the other evening while sitting on my porch I was led to a passage of Scripture in the Book of Job. Historians of the biblical persuasion seem to think that the Book of Job even proceeds the time of Moses when the Law was given.


I have some interesting thoughts regarding Job 23 which is toward the end of the book and Job has already gone through most of his great and sore trials and outright torture brought about by Satan and allowed by God. Job says, "Oh that I knew where I might find God! That I might even come to His seat! I would order my cause before Him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which He would answer me, and understand what He would say to me."


Job is not getting any answers; just stone cold silence. Have you ever experienced that? This righteous man was surrounded by three "friends" who had all of the answers. They brought no comfort but were further torment for this righteous man.



Job continues with his complaint, and a good complaint it was, " Behold, I go forward, but He is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive Him; On the left hand, where He doth work, but I cannot behold Him: He hides Himself on the right hand, that I cannot see Him:"


" BUT God knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold. " Deep down in Job's heart he knew that God was still in control even though it seemed that He was hiding; and I believe He was. That is part of the trying; the refining fire that continues to increase in heat to the point that it seems unbearable.


Job says something very interesting that ties in with the New Testament speech of the Apostle Paul. in verse 13-17 Job is as honest as he ever was in his thoughts - But He (God) is of one mind, and who can turn Him? What His soul desires, that is what He does....For He performs the thing that is appointed for me; and many such things are with Him."


Who can change the mind of God? If we are appointed to something it is going to happen, and God is there all of the time. In 1 Thessalonians 3:3 Paul says, " ...That no man should be moved by these afflictions; for you know that we are appointed to these..." In the wilderness when Paul was taught by Christ he was shown the things he must suffer for the cause of Christ . He knew it was coming.


We have been instructed by the Word that many are the afflictions of the righteous but the LORD delivers us out of the all; not out of some, but out of all! I believe what it says!


In this season of testing and trial, I can identify with something else Job says in verse 15 through 17 of chapter 23 ~


" I am troubled at His presence; when I consider, I am afraid of Him. for God makes my heart soft (I realize there is nothing left in me) and the Almighty troubles me; Because I was not cut off before the darkness (before the darkness set in I was not removed for some reason) and He covered the darkness from my face...(I did not see what was coming around the corner...)


These are the heartfelt, honest feelings of the man of God Job. He was calling it like he saw it. Did God get angry with Job? Look at chapter 42 ~ God chastises the three friends of Job for their darkening of counsel toward Job, telling them that they have not spoken of Me what is right, but of Job God said he spoke what was correct.



When Job prayed for his friends they were forgiven. Job received twice what he had before his temptation and trial. More importantly his knowledge of God increased tremendously. We can be confident that nothing is going to happen to us that does not go through God first. No matter how difficult and hazardous the road we find ourselves traveling on any given season, whether through happiness, sorrow, triumph or seeming failure, God is at the controls.


On that great day we can all say with great confidence because we have experience and a track record with God ~


Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God,
be honor and glory, forever and ever, Amen! ( 1 Timothy 1:17)



No comments: