Saturday, February 23, 2008

GLORY IN FIRES

From the book of Exodus to the book of Revelation the glory of the LORD is mentioned. One definition of glory in the concordance is "a severe heaviness-to be made even heavier in richness and honor."


Exodus 40:34,35 says "Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle."


Revelation 15:5 says "And the temple ( in heaven ) was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from His power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled."


In the account of the announcement of the birth of Christ the glory of the LORD shone around about and great fear fell on the shepherds. This severe heaviness, this great weight of richness and power is something mankind apparently cannot fathom or handle in our present state.


Even the wisest man who ever lived apart from Christ Himself, King Solomon, was not able to function when the glory of God filled the temple he built per God's instruction. 2 Chronicles 7:1,2 says " Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD filled the LORD'S house."


In times past I have treated the glory of God as something I could possibly turn on and off like a light switch. If I had the time, I may spend some time on my knees or read a passage or so of Scripture. Maybe even listen to two or three sermons during the course of a week. I have been guilty of taking His glory for granted, if it was even His glory to begin with. Was it something I just made up in my mind? In the context of the Scripture's above, yes, it has been made up in my mind. God has accused others of thinking He was just like they were. Guilty as charged.


He is not like me! But, by His grace and power, there is a day coming when I will be like Him. The process to get me there is not going to be pretty. Here is one of the processes He uses -


Isaiah 24:15 says " Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea." From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, He says His name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense (prayer) shall be offered unto My name, and a pure offering; For My name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts. (Malachi 1:1)


In the fires I will learn to glorify God.


God says "As truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD. (Numbers 14:21) and "And blessed be His glorious name forever; and let the whole earth be filled with His glory; Amen and Amen." (Psalm 72:19)


I have read these Scriptures. I know that I am His, by His grace. I know in the near future, I feel in my lifespan, will probably see the fulfillment of all things prophecied. What am I to do in the meantime regarding His glory?


I have read what Moses did. He interceded for the children of Israel. The one man whom God spoke to face to face, the one who was the meekest man on planet earth, reminded God of His promises to the children of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He followed through with what God asked Job to do; present your case, reason with me, lets examine the issues, lets talk!


God was ready to totally destroy the children of Israel in the desert. He told Moses He would raise up a great nation from Moses; basically start all over again. Numbers 14:12-19-

"I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they. And Moses said unto the LORD, Then the Egyptians shall hear it, (for Thou broughtest up this people in Thy might from among them;) And they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land; for they have heard that Thou LORD art amont this people, that Thou LORD art seen face to face, and that Thy cloud standeth over them, and that Thou goest before them, by day time in a pillar of a cloud, and in a pillar of fire by night."


"Now if Thou shalt kill all this people as one man, then the nations which have heard the fame of Thee will speak, saying, Because the LORD was not able to bring this people into the land which He sware to them, therfore He hath slain them in the wilderness. And now I beseech Thee, let the power of my LORD be great, according as Thou hast spoken, saying, The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. "


"Pardon, I beseech Thee, the iniquity of this people according to the greatness of Thy mercy, and as Thou has forgiven this people, from Egypt even until now."


"And the LORD said, I have pardoned according to thy word; But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD."


Who is interceding for us? What is known as the established church on the earth has been as guilty, even more so, than the Children of Israel in Moses' day. The church has the Old Testament Prophets. The Children of Israel did not. The church has the New Testament. The children of Israel did not. The church has the very Holy Spirit of God promising to live in us. The children of Israel did not. We are thousands of times more guilty that the Children of Israel.


Who is interceding for us? Jesus!


It is important to become familiar with the glory of God; to desire it, to think of it, to want it more than anything on this planet. He will put the hunger in my heart and fulfill the wish. Like the tabernacle in the wilderness and the temple in Jerusalem, the desire of God has always been to dwell in this bodily tabernacle as I yeild and allow. To have a dwelling place on earth, as He has in the heavens.


In the fires to come, I feel much more space for Him will become available.

No comments: