Saturday, July 12, 2008

LEANING ON HIM

Psalm 55:22 promises that God will not suffer the righteous to be moved. I have been moved quite a few times this week! I have been moved to anger, which I am learning to supress. I have been moved to depressing thoughts, which I remove by remembering old hymns of the faith and I sing and hum them as I go about my daily chores. I am moved to fear what is coming upon the nation; the economy, our armed forces in harms way in the Mideast regarding Iranian threats and possible retaliation by the USA or Israel. I am fearful when I get my paycheck; will I have enough left over for gasoline, for groceries, for the two children we have taken into our home for the summer?



I am fearful for my Mother who is in a very bad way in a Nursing Home in Maryland. Is she being treated properly? Probably not considering the skeleton staff they seem to always have. There are fires in the West, floods in the Midwest, and hurricane season is upon us for 5 more months. Banks are starting to fail and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac face the largest bailout package in the history of the planet next week!



But, Psalm 55:22 promises that the righteous will not be moved! Moved means TO FALL INTO DECAY! TO BE EXCEEDINGLY MOVED OFF COURSE!




God promises that we will not decay, we will not fall off course to the extent that we are lost and hopeless. My personal belief is that He brings certain things across our pathway, sometimes several times a day if necessary, to make sure we stay on course! To make sure we do not decay! To make sure that we constantly are examining ourselves against His revealed will for us.





An old song of the faith that came to mind several times this week as I read and watched the news and events of the week unfold, is LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS. It was written in the late 1800's and it is as appropriate today, possibly more so, that when it was penned. The words are below:




WHAT A FELLOWSHIP
WHAT A JOY DIVINE
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS;
WHAT A BLESSEDNESS,
WHAT A PEACE IS MINE,
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.
O HOW SWEET TO WALK
IN THIS PILGRIM WAY
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS;
OH, HOW BRIGHT THE PATH
GROWS FROM DAY TO DAY
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.
WHAT HAVE I TO DREAD,
WHAT HAVE I TO FEAR,
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS?
I HAVE BLESSED PEACE WITH MY LORD SO NEAR,
LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.
CHORUS:
LEANING, LEANING, SAFE AND SECURE FROM ALL ALARMS;
LEANING, LEANING, LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.
Isaiah 26:3 says that God will keep those in perfect peace whose minds are stayed upon Him; because we trust in Him.
Mind stayed upon means to lean heavily upon, to lie hard upon Him, to take hold of Him and not let go!
LEANING AND STAYING UPON HIM! OUR JOY AND HOPE FOR THE DAYS AHEAD. He knows the beginning for the end. He is our God, and our Father.
Have a good Sabbath thinking upon Him.

No comments: