Saturday, December 13, 2008

REMEMBER MERCY

Today I read blogs and hear sermons from many regarding the coming judgments upon the our nation and the world because of sin and rebellion against God. If I were to mention God's mercy I fear I would be chewed up and cast aside because of the anger and bitterness that is coming from many circles.



Yet, there is a side of our God that many will depend greatly upon in the coming days; there is a prayer of King David that says in judgment, remember mercy. Untold millions will come into the Kingdom, not because of being whipped into salvation or cajoled or convinced, but because there will be absolutely no other place to go for comfort and salvation. This too, is a way of God. He is boxing many into a corner to where the only sane decision they can make is to realize their mistakes, repent of their sins, and accept that He is LORD of all.



The mercies of God are not mentioned just a few times in Scripture. In just one Book of the Psalm's mercy is mentioned 26 times (Psalm 136)! To make my point, the passages of Scripture below give an example of how extensive and all encompassing His mercy is in regard to a sinful and fallen creation:



For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever; Thy faithfulness shalt Thou establish in the very heavens. (Psalm 89:2)



O satisfy us early with Thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)


For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting: and His truth endureth to all generations. (Psalm 100:5)


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. (Psalm 103:8)


But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear Him, and it is righteousness unto children's children. (Psalm 103:17)


Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever. (Psalm 106:1)


O give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever. (Psalm 107:1)


For Thy mercy is great above the heavens; and Thy truth reacheth unto the clouds. (Psalm 108:4)


O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever.
(1 Chronicles 16:34)


I hear quite often of the glory of the LORD coming down. What brings this event into our lives? Scripture gives some guidelines. In 2 Chronicles 5:13 it says, "It came to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD saying, For He is good; for His mercy endureth forever; that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD.



The LORD inhabits the praise of His people.



Additional passages to confirm the everlasting mercies of God:


Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23:6)


All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep His covenant and His testimonies. (Psalm 33:18)


But I have trusted in Thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation. (Psalm 13:5)


Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy. (Psalm 33:18)


Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever. (Psalm 106:1)


O give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever. (Psalm 107:1)


For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting; and truth endureth to all generations. (Psalm 100:5)


Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and Thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. (Psalm 36:5)


But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. (Psalm 52:8)


But I will sing of Thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of Thy mercy in the morning; for Thou hast been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. (Psalm 59:16)


And unto Thee, O LORD, belongeth mercy; for Thou renderest to every man according to his work. (Psalm 62:12)


But Thou, O LORD, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. (Psalm 86:15)


Quite a profile of the mercy of our Heavenly Father! And these are just some of the descriptions of His character in that regard. I never want to get so comfortable in my self that I resort to, or fall into the trap of condemnation of others. God has been merciful to me more times than I will ever know. I must do the same to others. Not merciful of sin, but of the enslavement and darkness of those who are the prisoners of sin. Christ came to set the captives free. He set me free from the darkness into His light.



This is my mission, prayer and great hope in the coming days-
" My soul, wait thou only upon God;
for my expectation is from Him.
He only is my Rock and my Salvation;
He is my defense; I shall not be moved."


"In God is my salvation and my glory;
the rock of my strength and my refuge, is in God.
Trust in Him at all times:
ye people, pour out your heart before Him:
God is a refuge for us. Selah."

No comments: