Monday, October 13, 2008

TODAY IS THE TIME

We live in a dirty world. We are surrounded by dirty, sinful things. We need daily prayer and repentance of actions, thoughts and words. As one Brother has said, we are baptized once when we become Believers, but we still need to shower daily! Our spiritual shower is the washing of our spirit with the Word and through prayer.



Today I was drawn to Psalm 32:5-8. King David says:
" I acknowledge my sin to Thee, and my iniquity I did not hide:
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD
and You forgave the guilt of my sin."



A dose of daily confession for sins, thoughts, actions should be my practice, immediately after these things occur. If they come to mind before I turn in for the evening, or as I am falling to sleep, they should be repented of immediately. Our time here is short. A day is coming when God said let those who are holy, remain holy; and let those who are unholy remain unholy still.



Right now we live in a marvelous day of grace. This day will draw to a close. We cannot continue to treat eternal things lightly in these last of days.



David continues to say to let everyone who is Godly pray to Him in a time when God may be found. The inference here is that there is coming a time when He cannot be found; it will be too late. It is too late when the flood of great waters and adversity hit. If we stay in prayer continually the flood will not devestate us. The waters will not overflow us. The time when it is too late is when one has not prayed, repented, or has not been close to God for a long period of time. When the great waters of adversity come there is no time to prepare; all we can do is panic and react.



There can be great peace in adversity; at times that is all we have. It is easily manageable if we were just talking to God this morning! We are confident that He is right here. Then, we can confidently say, as King David said, "Thou art my hiding place, Thou doest preserve me from trouble. Thou doest surround me with songs of deliverance!"



What is important in my interpretation of this verse and the importance of staying close to God, right beside Him, is the way He teaches and instructs us. In verse 9-11 of the same Chapter in Psalms, God admonishes that we " not be like the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings (garments-part of their regular attire) are bit and bridle to hold them in check, otherwise they will not come near you."



During the flood the sorrows of the wicked are many. But for those who trust in the LORD lovingkindness will surround them. David ends this song with assurance and encouragement for us to "be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you His upright ones. And shout for joy all you who are upright in heart."



We cannot take spending time with God lightly; as if He will always be there. There is inference in the Bible that He may not be at our every beck and call when we desire. We need to establish and confirm our relationship with Him on a daily basis. Isaiah 55:6 says,"Seek ye the LORD while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near."



This concept is further confirmed in Jeremiah 29:13,14, "And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with ALL OF YOUR HEART." This requires more than a casual relationship. It takes our all.



There is a day coming when He may not be available for those who have not spent quality time searching for Him, praying to Him, thanking and rejoicing in who He is.
Amos 7:7-9 says -
(7) Thus He shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand. (8) And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the LORD, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more: (9) And the high places of Isaac shall be desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste; and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam with the sword.




What an awesome, awful thought!



My reading of Psalm 32 today reminded me to continue to "pray to Him in a time when He may be found." Spend time with Him to establish a relationship, to build a friendship, to learn to know His voice; because when the great floods of waters come, it will be to late.


I do not want to be swept away. I want to be confident that I know He is still here with me; I want to have the confidence and faith He is right here; because I was just speaking with HIM!!

No comments: