Saturday, March 21, 2009

WE MUST SING

Matthew Henry ( 1662-1714) the non-conformist writer of Matthew Henry Bible Commentary, spoke volume's that are relevant today to what we are facing as Believers, living in an unbelieving world facing sure judgment. He writes-


" When the mirth of carnal worldling's ceases the joy of the Saints is as lively as ever;
when the merry hearted do sigh because the vine languishes the upright hearted do sing because the covenant of grace, the fountain of their comforts and the fountain of their hopes never fails."


" Those that rejoice in the LORD can rejoice in tribulation, and by faith may be in triumphs when all about them are in tears. They shall sing to the glory and praise of God, shall sing not only for the mercy but for the majesty of the LORD."


"Their songs are awful and serious, and in their spiritual joys they have a revered regard to the greatness of God, and keep a humble distance when they attend Him with their praises. The majesty of the LORD, which is the matter of terror to the wicked people, furnishes the saints with songs of praise."


" They shall sing for the magnificence, or transcendent excellency of the LORD, shown both in His judgments and in His mercies; for we must sing, and sing unto Him, of both...."


In that context, I think of Habakkuk 3:17-19, and the day in which we now find ourselves :


" Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: -


" Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hinds' feet, and He will make me to walk upon mine high places."



We must learn a new song that for the most part we have not had to sing -


Isaiah 24:14,15
They (we) shall lift up their voice, they shall sing for the majesty of the LORD, they shall cry aloud from the sea. Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea. From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs, even glory to the righteous..."



What a strange concept! Or is this something new demanded of us? Psalm 101:1
says, " I will sing of mercy and judgment; unto Thee, O LORD, will I sing."


Our mindset must be, as Matthew Henry said, " When, though He slay us, yet we trust in Him - when, though for His sake we are killed all the day long, yet none of these things move us - then we glorify God in fires. Thus the martyrs that sang at the stake."


Nothing will ever separate us from the love of God.


HERE IN YOUR PRESENCE
Karen Davis 2006
In the secret place of the most high God
In the shelter of the Almighty
I will say of the LORD,
He is my refuge, my God in whom I trust.
Here in Your presence LORD
beneath your wings with unveiled face
I will see Your glory, I will wait for You LORD.
Here in Your presence LORD
In the shadow of Your wings
I will seek You LORD with unveiled face
I will wait for You alone.
In the secret place of the Most High God
In the shelter of the Almighty
I will say of the LORD,
He is my refuge, my God in whom I trust.
Show me Your face, Your power and Your mercy
Show me Your way and lead me LORD
Show me LORD Your face
Your power and Your glory
Search me LORD and know my heart
and lead my in Your way.

No comments: