Monday, November 30, 2009

Just a Concept or Platitude?

We are given so many precious promises by God our Father that we could spend a lifetime examining them all. How do they apply, of what use are they to daily living in 2009, are the promises just for Israel or are do they apply to Believers also?





I feel that enough scripture has been given, revealed and opened to Believers that we can have great confidence that each and every promise is ours for the taking. How do we apply His promises? Do we only ask for answers to our prayers and claim what He has said is ours during times of trial and tribulation? Do we go the temple to offer daily sacrifices of praise, thanksgiving and to make our requests known before His throne?





Deep down in our spirit, do we just have a concept, or platitude when we repeat His promises back to Him in prayer, thought or words? A platitude is a trite or banal remark or statement. Have His promises of deliverance, peace and joy in tribulation really sunk down deep into our heart, no matter the present trial?





This morning I am still fighting a very stubborn chest cold and congestion. I fought through this thing for several weeks and it still lingers. In my morning routine, I walked with my retriever (more resembling a small horse!) and threw his stick for him; perhaps a dozen times! I did not have too much energy and I was praying that God would give me the energy to go to work and perform my duties in a proper manner. I knew that I did not have it in myself to gather the energy to go to a building with over 1,700 teenagers to clean up after the daily hurricane they cause.





As only the Holy Spirit can, He brought a song of the past into my spirit and it gave great strength; in the midst of feeling sluggish and tired. My spirit began to come alive inside of this tired body and great hope, strength and joy came to my soul. Only He can do this! I could not "work it up" on my own. The song was written in the 1800's and as I sang the chorus over and over again sweet memories of those who have gone before us to the heavens sitting in the pew in churches of years gone by entered my mind.





This is not a concept; nor a platitude. This is the Spirit of God giving strength in times of need. The words to this beautiful hymn of the church give a beautiful picture of what our mindset must be in both good times and difficulties.





JESUS I COME TO THEE

Out of my bondage, sorrow and night-

Jesus I come, Jesus I come,

Into Thy freedom, gladness and light-

Jesus I come to Thee;



Out of my sickness, into Thy health-

Out of my want and into Thy wealth;

Out of my sin and into Thyself-

Jesus I come to Thee.







Out of my shameful failures and loss;

Jesus I come, Jesus I come-

Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,

Jesus I come to Thee;

Out of earths sorrows, into Thy balm,

Out of life's storms and into Thy calm;

Out of distress to jubilant psalm;

Jesus I come to Thee.







Out of unrest and arrogant pride-

Jesus I come, Jesus I come;

Into Thy blessed will to abide

Jesus I come to Thee;



Out of myself, to dwell in Thy love,

Out of despair into rapture above,

upward for aye on wings like a dove,

Jesus I come to Thee.







Out of the fear and dread of the tomb,

Jesus I come, Jesus I come;

Into the joy and light of Thy home,

Jesus I come to Thee;



Out of the depths of ruin untold,

Into the peace of Thy sheltering fold,

Ever Thy glorious face to behold,

Jesus I come to Thee.





May the God of all peace, joy and love rule and reign in our hearts and minds; through Christ Jesus - Not a Concept - Not a Platitude - But a REALITY for those that are His! We are drinking at the springs of living water, no matter the circumstance, trial or victory!

No comments: