Sunday, April 18, 2010

Being Enlarged?

There is a spiritual principle I have missed out on in the past. When I pray and request that I know more of God, that I be blessed with more faith and confidence, do I recognize how God is answering this request?


Psalm 4 gives a snapshot, just one little verse hidden in the 66 books of the Bible. I am sure there are many other verses that deal with this concept of the workings of God in the lives of those who love Him and desire to grow and be strengthened in the pursuit of a life of holiness, but this one verse hit me like a 4 x 4 this morning.


Psalm 4:1 ~
" Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness:
Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress;
have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer."


This infers that when we are in distress we are enlarged. When we are in distress, we grow. When a seed is planted in the ground and we have visions of a beautiful flower or fresh fruit in our garden we tend to forget that that seed has to lay there and the outer shell has to decay over a period of time before the life that is in the seed can germinate and finally grow. Is our life similar? I think so.


In our hard places, as we cry out for deliverance, wisdom and godliness, we are dying to the natural man and its natural desires. The life of the Spirit is becoming more prevalent in the process. As we allow the natural part of our being to die away His life springs forth. Our place in the course of life is enlarged in the spiritual man; as Scripture says, enlarge your tents; stretch out your dwellings.


As we enlarge our spiritual authority matures and we grow more confident in the ways of God in our life. We run to Him for deliverance and comfort. Our spiritual muscle expands and develops for the larger battles we may face. King David says that " God has enlarged us..." he also, most importantly acknowledges that our righteousness is from Him! He hears our prayers. He is faithful in the process. He has mercy upon us as we go through this process.


Verse 4 says to " Stand in awe, and sin not; commune with your own heart upon you bed, and be still. "



Be still in this most important time of growing in the graces and knowledge of God. Be still and know that HE IS GOD~

No comments: