Saturday, April 28, 2012

Old Hymn From Childhood

I used to sing in the church's where my father ministered when I was very young. I specifically remember singing a hymn that was one of my Grandfather's favorites if my memory serves me correctly. It was in a small church in Shepherdstown, WV and there were perhaps 50 or so parishioner's.

I was the song bird of my three brothers. Looking back on perhaps 50 years, the words to this song give me great insight of what I have experienced over those years, and more importantly, the purpose of many of those experiences.

                   HE WASHED MY EYES WITH TEARS
                                          Ira Stanphill


" He washed my eyes with tears that I might see,
The broken heart I had was good for me;
He tore it all apart and looked inside,
He found it full of fear and foolish pride."


"He swept away the things that made me blind
And then I saw the clouds were silver lined;
And now I understand 'twas best for me
He washed my eyes with tears that I might see."


"He washed my eyes with tears that I might see,
The glory of Himself revealed to me;
I did not know that He has wounded hands
I saw the blood He spilt upon the sands.
I saw the marks of shame and wept and cried;
He was my substitute for me He died;
And now I'm glad He came so tenderly;
And washed my eyes with tears that I might see."


* Many, many are the afflictions of the righteous, as the Bible says, but rest assured that each and every one serves an eternal purpose. The steps of a righteous person are ordered by God; He does what is necessary to bring us closer to Him. Our revelation of His faithfulness and His great compassion's are evident in our past times of tears. King David cried into the night in his effort to find the heart of God in every circumstance. We are no different. It will be worth it all when we see Jesus!  

No comments: