Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Song Of Victory!

There is a song of victory that is usually sung at funerals. It was played at my parent's funeral. But the depth of the words goes way beyond the circumstance in which it is usually sung.


Christ is called our Rock, our place of strength in times of trouble. He is the Rock upon which we stand. He is the Rock of Ages. He was the rock for the Prophets; Moses, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is also our the rock upon which we stand.


Notice the song says "rock of ages" plural, as in more than one. We have already had the age of the Law, we are now living in the age of Grace, and there are ages yet to come. The Bible speaks of the ages of eternity. Perhaps there will be an age of revelation when we study the faithfulness of God in our lives during our time here on earth. Perhaps there will be an age in which we relive past events in our life. Maybe we will get to relive the great deliverance's of God for the Children of Israel; the three Hebrew children saved in the furnace of Babylon, Daniel in the lions den, the crossing of the Red Sea, the walls of Jericho falling down! These would be exciting days to relive. God invented time, He could also bend it backwards for us if we ask Him to!


Here are the beautiful words of the song; written in the mid 1700's, but as appropriate today as they when they were penned ~


"Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save from wrath and make me pure."


"Could my tears forever flow,
Could my zeal no languor know,
These for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone:
In my hand no price I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling."


" While I draw this fleeting breath,
When my eyes shall close in death,
When I rise to worlds unknown,
And behold Thee on Thy throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee."


The Rock is a Person! He is ours, we are His!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you for this encouragement!